calling all crocheters

2/21/13 UPDATE :: thank you all so very very much for you interest in this project. i have sent out all the skeins of thread that i have !! [i can't believe that i get to type that, but it's true!]


so. i'll just admit it. i think i might have just jumped off the deep end. 

i alluded to it here. and graciously a couple of you have already offered help [and believe me i will be taking you up on that]. 



my normal tendency is to keep quiet on what i'm working on [when it's an entire show] until it's all complete, or pretty darn close to that. but in this case i'm going to take the plunge [and i'll be crossing my fingers so that i don't jinx it]. 

all the thread you ask? well... my next show is going to center around "sen" which is 1000 in japanese. there are several components to this idea [which i will keep quiet for now as i'm figuring them out].


what i will say is that 1000 is a big deal in japanese culture. it's wrapped up in luck and hope and clearly excess. so... in thinking about luck and placing it into my lexicon, my vocabulary, my means of working. 1000 doilies it is. and because of my fascination with color and color theory... 100 colors of thread. 10 doilies in each color to get to my 1000. 

this is going to be a wall. a wall of doilies in my show next fall. and i'm not foolish enough to think i can do this myself. my mom is enlisted.... anyone else want to help?


they are fairly small doilies. about 2-3 inches. they only use a chain stitch and double crochet. when i first started making them it took me about an hour to make one - but now that i have the pattern pretty much memorized it takes about 35-45 minutes for one. 


i'm using a 1.5mm/ US size 10 hook. yup. it's small, and sometimes people think it's harder to use, but really it's no different than using a big hook. 

IF you are willing/able/interested in helping me i will send you a completed doily, the pattern, thread and a hook and return postage. AND of course some kind of art compensation - this will be determined, but i swear you will get something. 

you can most likely pick the color you'd like to do ! [want a purple - what KIND of purple i think i have 10 purples]. 

my only request is that if you commit to helping me you complete all 10 in one color. only because obviously every person will make their doilies slightly different - it's the way crochet works - and why i love it - but i need each color to be as similar as possible. 

i don't need these until the end of summer 2013 - so there's a lot of time to get this done....

if you can do 10 - GREAT ! if you can do more than 10 - GREAT GREAT !! any takers ?? pretty please... email me [lisa {at} lisasolomon {dot} com] or leave a comment with a way i can reach you. and thank you. in advance. for even thinking about it. for a moment. 


Comments

Heather said…
I love this! Too bad I'm a total knitter and don't crochet (yet). Are we going to learn enough in our online class to do these? I would love to!
Anonymous said…
SORRY but my fingers and brain do not coordinate well enough for me to help with this request.

BUT I hope others will do so.....the prospect of a piece of your work should entice 1-2-3 people!
emily said…
ohMYgoodnessgracious!!!!! first of all, i'm drooling over those colors. second, of COURSE i want to help! but i'm a tiny bit nervous because i've never crocheted with such a tiny needle and thread and i don't know if i can do it. so maybe i should do a test before i commit? will see if i can stop by my yarn shop today. wow wow wow - i want to come see the finished product in person in the worst way.
melissa s. said…
I would LOVE to be a part of this, lisa! (I do crochet, but have never used those cute little hooks. I'm excited to learn, though!)
Betsey said…
I'm one of those silent followers of your art and blog; finally stepping out to say I'd be happy to help you out. I do alot of crochet with thread so it'd be a pleasure. Have you thought of inquiring for help at ravelry.com?
oh i wish i knew how to crochet, i'm only a really really slow knitter, it's not my thing.
but what an interesting piece.
louise said…
Hi Lisa, I'm very happy to help. I haven't crocheted before, but Gracia's Mum is a very, very good knitter so I'm sure she will help me out if needs be. I am good a sewing so feel I will pick it up. xolj
PS If you only want experienced help then I wont be offended.
Kathryn said…
Whew, you DO jump all in, don't you!? Hmm, have no idea how to crochet but have friends who do so will spread the word for you!!
I would like to try of course! Is there a way I can test the waters without you sending anything?

I am an experienced crocheter, but haven't worked with a needle that small yet. What size is it?

xo xo xo
heck yes! count me in. send me a surprise color. i'm happy to help you out. xo.
Unknown said…
I choose mint green and lemon yellow. ;)
Unknown said…
Yes yes yes I would totally love to be part of it, if you accept international help (I live in France).
I love all colors so any will be ok for me. For now lets just say one color and see how I handle this.
andrea Mckeen said…
Hi Lisa :) I would love to help. I have been crocheting (though nothing complicated, I do know single and double crochet!) since my grandmother first taught me as a child. I would love to be looking at a delicious shade of orange while I crochet but am truly open to whatever you have/need. So excited to help out!
Joy Madison said…
I'd love to help! I made snowflake doilies last year at christmas and was nervous, but they were exactly like bigger things! Let me know how many you need me to make. I can probably 20-30!
Margie Oomen said…
Love to help , if you have an indigo blue that would be perfect
joonzeboo said…
i'll help. let me email you.
joonzeboo at gmail dot com
Tornangel012 said…
I am totally on board! this will be my nice change from shuttle tatting and embroidery!
Bri Ana said…
The Los Angeles Crochet Mafia is in(I.e. myself and Regina). You know where I live.
Unknown said…
I was sent here by Sonya Philip and I'm happy to help! I'm an experienced crocheter and have worked with thread and small hooks. You can email me at hr at ratwerks dot com.
Fru said…
I'd love to help, I'm a good at crocheting and if I had to pick color I'd go with red.
My email is fruccidesign@gmail.com
lindamay said…
if you're still in need send me an email and i'll send my addy
xlindamayx(at)gmail(dot)com
Jan Halvarson said…
wow - maybe after taking your course i might be able to make a doily for your installation - that would be soo cool!
Laurence W said…
I arrived here thanks to "Poppytalk" and I'd love to help in your project. At the moment I'm using a 1.6mm hook so I think I can do it. Whatever colour you need , I'll be in for it. My email: laurence.weus @wanadoo.fr
Cally said…
Merry CHristmas and Happy New Year Lisa. I'm still fairly blog absent so it was lovely to open yours to that burst of crochet yarn colour - glorious! Cally x
Anonymous said…
I can help you if you like.my email address is nicolehirschau@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
If you still need help with dolies, I am happy to help: remie (underscore) bontrager (at) yahoo (dot) com.
Lola & Emilin said…
Hi! I would love to participate, if you still need help.
lolaandemilin at gmail dot com
Amelia said…
can do if you still need help.
Anonymous said…
I would love to if you still need help. I could do 20 - your choice on colors, but lighter would be easier for me. Danielle (dot) brannock (at) gmail (dot) com
Heather said…
If you're still sending out threads, I would LOVE to participate.. I've been crocheting since I was 7!
mamascraftroom@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
Hi
Do you still need help? I would love to crochet 10 for you in any colour.
kerylcod@ihug.com.au
Anonymous said…
your work, your approach, your creativity is brilliant! Is it too late to offer to crochet 10 doilies? I am an aussie expat residing in Saudi Arabia and would love to contribute.
Thanks so much for all your inspiring sparks!
Lucy said…
Hi - I would also love to help. I am a competent to good crocheter, in the UK. I could do 20 for you if we have a few weeks/months to get them done. love the greens and blues you have chosen. I'm at acutorostrata@yahoo.co.uk
Miriam said…
Hello,
If you need another crocheter, 'm your (wo)man.
Send me one of the blues or greens and the doilies will be made. I'd love to contribute!!!
Miriam
miriamvw@gmail.com
Julie said…
I would love to help you out. I know you have given away all your thread but I have some of my own (white and cream) I could use. I would just like to be part of your project. Just email me the pattern and a return address and I will get going. I will aim for 10 initially.
Sarita said…
Hi,
I realise I'm well behind the times, but if you still need help, let me know! I can happily do ten if you can post to NZ. skjlamb@gmail.com
Sarah

Popular Posts